Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Home Weddings and Events can be Expensive

Recently, I read an article on one of my favorite wedding blogs, Preston's Blog (by Preston Bailey) and knew that I had to share it with my readers. Since I have coordinated many home weddings, some of which have been published, I have many couples who come to me seeking help with planning their at-home wedding. Although I LOVE to do them, I always make sure that the couple is aware of what it will take to pull this off.

Preston Bailey explains it perfectly:

I’m always excited when clients want to have their wedding or event at their house. Using a private home for an event is often a dream come true: it’s unique, personal, and often rich with family history. However, many clients assume that hosting an event at home will save them money. The reality, unfortunately, is that home events can actually be more expensive than events at traditional venues. Why? Because, in most cases, you have to create everything from the ground up. A private home is not designed to be an event space.

For example, most venues already have tables, chairs, linens, cutlery, lights, etc…; all of which you need for big events. Private homes don’t have these items on hand, and that means everything has to be purchased or rented. So, the next time clients ask about having an event at their home, remind them about the costs of doing so. I still love home events, but I’m always sorry when clients are disappointed, because they were under the impression they were going to be saving money.

Click HERE to check out the full article on Preston's Blog.

No comments: